Use the form below to filter our Frequently Asked Questions.

What is OCRRA’s role with the Waste-to-Energy Facility?

OCRRA has a public-private partnership with Reworld™ (formerly Covanta), which operates the Waste-to-Energy Facility in Onondaga County.


  • performs and hires contractors to conduct Facility inspections,
  • regularly communicates with Reworld™ managers,
  • reviews Facility reports,
  • posts emissions data, and
  • determines the acceptability of any special waste materials that may be processed at the Facility.

The OCRRA-Reworld™ partnership has served the community well since the WTE Facility began operating in 1994.

Where does my trash go?

Trash generated in OCRRA’s service area (Onondaga County, except the Town and Village of Skaneateles) goes to the Onondaga County Waste-to-Energy Facility.

Rather than hauling it to landfills out of Onondaga County, the only other alternative, the Onondaga County Waste-to-Energy (WTE) Facility converts the non-recyclable materials into electricity – enough to power about 30,000 homes.

The Facility also annually recovers about 10,000 tons of metal from the waste stream and reduces the volume of material that needs to be sent to a landfill by 90%. OCRRA figures that, as long as it can be done in a manner protective of human health and the environment, we may as well be using our waste materials to their full potential. Waste-to-energy does just that. Click here to learn more about the Waste-to-Energy Facility.

What things can I / can’t I bring to the drop-off stations?

What are the drop-off stations hours and fees?

The Rock Cut Road and Ley Creek Drop-Off Stations have different hour of operation and fees.

How do I get rid of fluorescent bulbs?

Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury and must not be thrown in the trash. Click here to learn how easy it is to recycle them in Onondaga County.

How do I get rid of an old television, computer or other electronic item?

There are a number of convenient drop off locations in our community. Click here for more info.

How do I get rid of a broken blue bin?

Click here for instructions on how to get rid of a blue bin.

How do I get a new blue bin or recycling cart?

Check with your local municipality. OCRRA does not oversee recycling and trash cart supplies or distribution. Elected officials in each municipality determine how waste and recycling are managed in their communities. Not sure where to start? Find out here.

What items belong in the blue bin?

For a list of the items that are recyclable in your blue bin, click here.

What are accepted and prohibited materials at the compost sites?

The OCRRA compost sites accept various organic items. To see a list, click here.

What are the Compost Site fees, regular hours and holiday hours?

Why don’t you take materials in bags at the Compost Sites?

Bags often contain yard waste and contaminants, which pose safety and equipment concerns. We kindly ask that you empty your bags at the site and recycle them, if appropriate.